Monday, June 7, 2010

Hunting Party- The Fallen Part: 1

Hello everyone and welcome back to the cave. This week I decided to try and get three decks created to try out and at least have something new to play at Friday Night Magic. What I've decided to do is go through these on a weekly basis since it would take vigorous testing in order to tweak the deck and metagame seriously enough to be acceptable to play with.

In the beginning the decks were to be based on the current meta but as I thought about it more, most decks in the format will be more punishing to a newer player pocket so I thought of a somewhat budget price range no less than $250.00.

This week I've decided to start with my take on a somewhat forgotten archetype that was being developed when Zendikar first came out into the spot light and was often played by some and that was G/B Ob Nixilis, the Fallen or better known by my friends at MTGRadio as Obi Wan Kenobi. The deck was based around the potential landfall ability he has as a finisher in the deck. It was originally a mana ramp deck with the help of fetch lands and producers such as harrow and khalni heart expedition.




With the new editions of Worldwake it fell out of balance since more players decided to take Jund as the new ruler of the meta. I've decided to bring it back and try it out once more to the spot light and see how well it can do. First off I'm building the deck based off my meta since I would like to test it but more importantly besides the occasionally random decks I've encountered in the first three rounds of every FNM, the more competitive players turn up in the later rounds and top4/8. Mostly Mystic Bant, Jund, and Boss Naya have taken back the store and most of the time it stays that way, so I'm going to focus on the three decks at hand and their variants. Which are the basic jund, naya and bant decks.


To start we need a balance of how many lands we want in our deck. I've usually start with the cards and build my mana base from there however since this is a land fall type of deck I thought we should focus on that ability first. We want a total land count of twenty four lands. Its simple and we can focus on the next 51 cards. If your not following the math I added in the sideboard since most players don't consider their sideboards anything but tech and they should focus the sideboard and main deck as a whole. Since we want a land fall style deck play and to bring out some big creatures and damage, the deck is going to be on the basis of a ramp style deck list.

This is how I initially set up my deck list
X x Verdant Catacombs
X x Swamp
X x Forest
X x Evolving Wilds
X x (X)

This is the basic deck build of what a B/G deck would look like with Obi Wan in mind. To much ramp can hurt the deck in limiting other potential finishers for the deck in case someone has either disabled our path towards a win from Ob Nixilis. Now that we have an idea of what lands are going into the deck the X's are for how many we will put in after we figure out the mana cost of each card we put in.

Next up we look at removal before finishers since getting into the red zone and having board position is key. Also potential tools and tech we can use in case we are limited to the cards we draw. Looking at the top cards played and strategies based off this I came up with these cards.

Putrid Leech
Ob Nixilis
Birds of Paradise
Mul Daya Channelers
Oracle of Mul Daya
Vengevine
Lord of Extinction
Scute Mob

This is the base creature base I want to use because I found that most of these cards are going to be removal fodder but I want to have other finishers besides Nixilis and vengevine, scute mob, and lord of extinction is excellent for late game.

*Part two will be up next thursday 6/24 due to personal hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment